How to make Kala Chana?
In the Middle East, India and Mediterranean countries, lentils are an essential, inexpensive meatless protein used in many dishes.
Kala chana is a special recipe as it includes 9 types of lentils in it.
- 1 cup Kala Chana
- 3 cups water for soaking black chickpeas
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 lahsun, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 hari mirch,finely chopped
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1 tsp kashmiri Mirch powder
- 1 tsp regular garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp haldi
- ½ tsp of hing
- 2 tbsp oila
- salt as required
For The Garnish:
- Soak the black chickpeas or kala chana overnight or for 8-9 hours and in a pressure cooker.
- Add 2 tbsp of ghee or oil and add jeera, crackle them and then add finely chopped onions.
- Saute the onions till they become light golden.
- Add lahsun, hari mirch and saute for 15-20 seconds
- Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute them till the oil starts leaving from the sides of the onion- tomato masala.
- Add the haldi powder, asafoetida, kashmiri mirch powder and saute for 4-5 seconds.
- Then add the kala chana along with all of the water. season with salt and stir well.
- Pressure cook on a medium to high flame for 9-10 whistles or more till the chickpeas are cooked well and softened.
- Lastly sprinkle the garam masala and stir. garnish the kala chana curry with Dhaniya patta.
- Serve the kala chana curry with steamed rice, rotis or chappati.