Vaal Lentils is the most nutritious and integrated part of Indian food course. Vaal is a very easy to make and a popular Maharashtrian dish. Vaal is a special recipe as it includes 9 types of lentils in it.
- 2 cups vaal
- 1/4 tsp soda bi-carb
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1/4 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tbsp grated jaggery (gur)
- 1 tsp tamarind (imli) pulp , optional
- salt to taste
- Wash and soak the rangoon vaal in enough water for 9 to 10 hours.
- Drain, add the soda bi-carb and enough water and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles or till the vaal is cooked.
- Let the steam evaporate before opening the lid and keep aside.
- Take a non-stick kadhai heat the oil , add the carom seeds, asafoetida, chilli powder and turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the rangoon vaal, 1 cup of water, jaggery, tamarind pulp and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 6 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.