upma is a traditional south indian breakfast dish made from rava. rava is also called as suji in hindi and cream of wheat in english. upma is usually served with coconut chutney, lime slices or lime pickle. it can also be had plain.
- 1 cup rava Rava
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped green chilly
- 1 cup rava Chana Dal
- 1 cup rava Urad Dal
- ½ inch ginger grated
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 10 to 12 cashewnuts
- sugar add as required
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- salt as required
For The Garnish:
- Heat kadai first. add 1 cup rava. Begin to roast the rava.
- The rava grains should become fragrant and start to look dry, separate and crisp.
- Switch off the flame and then add the roasted rava in a plate and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 2 tbsp ghee or oil add 1 tsp mustard seeds.
- Now add the cumin seeds along with chana dal and urad dal and add cashews.And Fry till they begin to brown a bit
- Now add the finely chopped onions.then add the chopped green chilly, ginger, curry leaves. cooked for a minute.
- Then add water to this mixture. add salt as required. and after add sugar as required.
- When the water comes to a rolling boil, lower the flame to its lowest. then add the rava. Once you add the rava, stir immediately.
- Quickly stir and mix well. the rava grains absorb water and thus swell and get cooked.
- Cover and allow the rava upma to steam for 2 minutes on the low flame ,then switch off the flame. here the rava is cooked and the upma is ready.
- Lastly add about 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves.
- serve upma with coconut chutney.