How to make Rajma?
punjabi rajma masala – simple and easy one pot punjabi rajma masala or kidney beans curry.
Rajma is a special recipe as it includes 9 types of lentils in it.
- 1 cup rajma
- 3 cups water for pressure cooking
- 2 green chili chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped lahsun
- 1 inch chopped ginger
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp regular garam masala powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp dry mango powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 tbsp butter
- salt as required
For The Garnish:
- coriander leaves
- Rinse the rajma beans for a couple of times in running water. And the rajma beans then soak in enough water overnight or for 8 to 9 hours.
- The next day, drain the soaked water.
- chop all vegetables – onion,tomatoes,ginger,garlic and green chilies.
- In a pressure cooker add the rajma along with the chopped onion, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and green chilies now add the spices.
- Add butter. stir again.
- Cover tightly and pressure cook for 16 to 18 whistles on a high flame.
- Once the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid and check the beans. the rajma has to be cooked completely.
- Once the rajma are cooked well, then check the gravy or curry also, you will see thin water like stock with the tomatoes and onions floating. so you have to continue to simmer the rajma masala till the curry thickens a bit.
- Keep the cooker on stove top and on a low to medium flame, simmer without lid. stir at intervals.
- Add dry mango powder. also add garam masala powder.
- Stir well and simmer the curry till the consistency thickens. mash a few rajma beans with the back of a spoon to thicken the consistency.
- When the consistency of the curry is no longer broth like or water like and thickened. then the rajma masala is ready. if you want you can thicken the gravy more, if having with chapatis or phulkas.
- Lastly check the taste and add more of salt, garam masala, red chili powder or dry mango powder if required.
- Garnishing rajma masala with coriander leaves is optional. serve rajma masala with some steamed rice or with chapatis, parathas or bread.