Idli Sambar is also an all-time favourite that is almost synonymous with south Indian food! From the smallest roadside hotel.A delicious lentil recipe made in southern part of India.
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 1 tbsp sukha dhaniya
- ½ tbsp urad dal
- ½ tsp jeera
- ¼ tsp methi seeds
- 3 red chillies
- ¾ cup Toor Dal
- 2 cups water to cook Toor Dal
- Lemon sized ball of Imali
- Salt as needed
- 12 to 15 sambar onions
- 6 to 8 beans
- 1 medium carrots
- 1 large chopped tomato
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 sprigs curry patta
- 1 red chilly broken
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ¾ tsp mustard
- pinch of methi
- pinch of hing
For sambhar powder:
For The Garnish:
- Wash dal with 2 cups water and 2-3 whistles of pressure cooker.and mash Toor dal as you want.
- Soak imali in little hot water, compress the pulp. Keep this aside.
- Dry roast the ingredients for sambar powder make a powder.
- Add oil to a pot and heat up. allow jeera, mustard and methi to splinter. Add lal mirch, curry
patta and hing. Set aside half the tempering if you wish to add at the end.
- Add veggies and saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sambhar powder and cook for a minute.
- Water and cook until the vegetables are soft cooked.
- Add filtered tamarind and Toor dal. Stir and bring it to a boil.
- Add the rest of the tempering and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with idli.