chole bhature is one of the most popular punjabi recipe which is now liked almost all over india and even abroad. chole stands for a spicy curry made with white chickpeas and bhatura is fried leavened flat bread.
- 1 cup dried small chickpeas (chole)
- 1 green chilli, slit
- 1 tsp dhania powder
- ¼ tsp lal mirch powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp amchur powder
- a pinch of hing
- rock salt as required
- 2 cups water to be added later
- 1 medium size onion finely chopped
- 2 medium size tomatoes finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- First soak the chickpeas in water for 7-8 hours.
- Cook the soaked chole with water and little salt in a pressure cooker.
- Once the chole get properly cooked strain them and keep aside.
- In a blender make a fine paste of the onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and green chili.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the whole garam masala spices in the oil.
- Add the onions, tomatoes, green chilies paste and saute them all till the oil leaves from the sides of pan.
- Stir the paste gently and make it sure that the paste does not stick to the pan.
- Once the paste get properly cooked add all the dry spice powders.
- Saute for a couple of minute and then add the chole in it and cooked it properly.
- Pour the required amount of water and salt and stir chole on a low flame for 15 minutes Stir the pan occasionally.
- Garnish chole with coriander leaves slit green chilies and garam masala powder.
- Serve chole with onion slices, lemon wedges along with bhatura.